[arch-general] Arch Linux

Bruno Delbono bruno.delbono at anthropology.es
Thu Sep 12 19:14:33 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

I just wanted to say that I’ve been playing with UNIX before Linux was born. I have gone from distro to distro, OS to OS. I can admin an *nix OS with eyes closed.  So you can understand my reluctance when  my friend urged; well almost kicked my ass to give Arch Linux a shot. He said, "You will hate yourself for not using it before!".

I don't use Linux on a desktop. I guess staring at CDE in Solaris was enough. And I am quite jaded with distros and use mostly CentOS/Ubuntu in the cloud (I have instances in AWS and lately started a few in Windows Azure). Thanks to one of the members of this group, Brian Parson - http://www.brianparsons.net/ , I launched my first instance of Arch on AWS about a week ago. Took a few hours to get the hang of how you do things in Arch. The Wiki is good, but can do with better explanation. For instance, the nginx article that talks about running it in chroot but then all instructions for varnish, php-fpm are for unchrooted nginx. Kinda annoying but I know how to get around it.

As for Arch, I am now hooked. It's so awesome. It's like Gentoo, but better (I know wrong comparison).

I'm loving Arch so much that I will be moving from Ubuntu/CentOS for all my instances.  So basically, ya. Awesome work! This distro is really kicks ass! :D

PS - I'm also planning to create an image ready for deployment for use with Windows Azure -- they don't have any Arch images so far. Cannot wait to contribute back by making images for Azure available for use :)

Bruno Delbono