[arch-general] Various questions regarding keyboard configuration

Jakub Klinkovský kuba.klinkovsky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 05:15:25 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm currently rewriting some pages on ArchWiki regarding keyboard configuration,
the current state is quite a mess. Here's the most relevant discussion:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Xorg#Keyboard_settings
You can watch the progress on my user-pages, any feedback is welcome:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Lahwaacz/Keyboard_configuration_in_Xorg
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Lahwaacz/Keyboard_configuration_in_console

I've got some questions that I think should be answered before I finish:

1) Why are keycodes as reported by xev different from those reported by showkey?
This is not related to configuration, but I plan to update/rewrite
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extra_Keyboard_Keys too.

2) The man page vconsole.conf(5) mentions KEYMAP_TOGGLE variable to "configure a
second toggle keymap", however, that's all the documentation says. Looking at
the code (vconsole-setup.c at line 120), it uses the 'loadkeys' utility, which
does not document any such feature. Instead it seems that the specified keymaps
are loaded serially, resulting in KEYMAP_TOGGLE overwrites KEYMAP. Am I missing
something here?

Regards,
Jakub Klinkovský (Lahwaacz)