[arch-general] [aur-general] systemd 207 and btrfs

Jameson imntreal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 05:10:54 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Curtis Shimamoto
<sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/18/13 at 08:31pm, Jameson wrote:
>> I upgraded to systemd 207 today, and upon reboot received several
>> messages that say, "failed to open /dev/btrfs-control skipping device
>> registration: No such file or directory."
>
> I think you probably meant to send this to [arch-general], not [aur-general]. So
> I am going to send this to both… we'll see where it goes.

Right you are.  It turns out if I type arch- instead of arch, my
Google contact list knows what I mean.  :)

> Your btrfs filesystem must span more than one device, yes?

Yep.  After running into different problems with both hardware RAID
and mdadm for different reasons, I thought I'd give a btrfs RAID 1
volume a shot for root on my home server.

> It was definitely the lack of /dev/btrfs-control that was causing the failure
> though, as I was getting that error message.  I recall checking immediately
> after getting the message and seeing that /dev/btrfs-control was indeed there.
> So maybe this is some kind of a race condition?

It looks that way because when it gets to an emergency shell a btrfs
device scan works fine.

> This is just a shot in the dark, but what if you were to put the necessary
> modules for btrfs in mkinitcpio.conf's MODULES list to have it loaded explicitly
> and early?

That did it.  I added btrfs, zlib_deflate, and libcrc32a.  I think I
had previously needed to add crc32a for a different problem I was
having with multi-device btrfs volumes.

Thanks so much for your help, Curtis.

=-Jameson