[arch-general] Wayland Support in Gnome 3.10

coderkun olli at coderkun.de
Wed Sep 25 14:34:43 EDT 2013

Am Mittwoch, den 25.09.2013, 09:08 -0700 schrieb kristof:
> I'm not entirely savvy with all the details but from my understanding,
> GNOME 3.10 will be featuring a Wayland tech preview, meaning that it can
> (optionally?) use the wayland protocol to manage graphics and windows
> and all that fun stuff.
>
> Are we going to compile this support by default? Does anyone know how
> and if we'll be able to switch back and forth between Xorg and Wayland?

Wayland is already enabled in the current GTK3 build¹ in [extra].
If the Gnome Shell can act as wayland compositor in Gnome 3.10  I think
it can be run by exporting GDK_BACKEND=wayland and running gnome-shell
directly—as it is done with weston (weston-launch).
But I’m not shure if this functionality is avalable in Gnome 3.10
stable.

¹
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/gtk3