[arch-general] Wayland Support in Gnome 3.10

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 15:13:18 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM, kristof <saposcat at myopera.com> wrote:
> I'm not entirely savvy with all the details but from my understanding,
> GNOME 3.10 will be featuring a Wayland tech preview, meaning that it can
> (optionally?) use the wayland protocol to manage graphics and windows
> and all that fun stuff.
>
> Are we going to compile this support by default? Does anyone know how
> and if we'll be able to switch back and forth between Xorg and Wayland?

It's all just ad-hoc in 3.10. For example, GDM has no support for Wayland.

What you're supposed to do is log in on a VT (in text mode) and then
run "gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland" to start the GNOME Shell.
Alternatively, run "gnome-shell --wayland" from X to get a nested
shell.

However, at least for me it doesn't work at the moment: The shell
launched from text mode just aborts with a trap, and the nested shell
errors with:
(gnome-shell-wayland:12690): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize
Clutter: Failed to connected to any renderer due to constraints

I'm a bit puzzled about how to fix this. I have Intel Sandy Bridge
graphics, and the needed features of cogl and clutter are enabled.
Insight welcome.

I've already tried adding XWayland (xorg-server from xwayland branch
with --enable-wayland, as well as xf86-video-wayland), but that didn't
change anything. It's likely XWayland is needed anyway, but it seems
my current problem is another one.