[arch-general] Fwd: Proposal for the static library problem in Arch

Dan Liew delcypher at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 11:22:14 EDT 2013

> My last reply was flippant. Apologies for that.

Huhh I didn't realise clang used LLVM as a shard library.

I guess my perspective is slightly skewed because I work on another LLVM
based project that uses static libraries instead (the project uses an
old version LLVM).

> However, I don't see any mention of why static libraries should
> supposedly be better for LLVM at the above URL. Can you direct us to a
> specific section/sentence/whatever of that document?

There is the sentence

"Once the set of optimizations is chosen (and similar decisions are made
for the code generator) the image processing compiler is built into an
executable or dynamic library. Since the only reference to the LLVM
optimization passes is the simple create function defined in each .o
file, and since the optimizers live in .a archive libraries, only the
optimization passes that are actually used are linked into the end
application, not the entire LLVM optimizer"

But there isn't anything there that explicitly states a preference for
static libraries over shared ones.

So I guess this example was not as good as I thought it was.

Regards.