[arch-general] Fwd: Proposal for the static library problem in Arch

Olivier Langlois olivier at olivierlanglois.net
Mon Sep 30 02:38:19 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-09-28 at 15:26 +0100, Delcypher wrote:
> should be down to the user and not the distro (yes I'm aware I could
> compile boost myself... that's what I'm doing right now but what
> happened to "Keep it Simple"? If I wanted to compile loads of stuff
> from scratch I'd be using Gentoo).
>
> So my proposal is this:
>
> For popular packages that have can build static libraries and shared
> libraries, build both but put the static libraries into their own
> "*-staticlibs" package and the *-libs" packages should contain only
> shared libraries. For example for boost you would have
>
> boost : Development headers + other files
> boost-libs : Boost shared libraries
> boost-static-libs : Boost static libraries

IMO, sounds like a good idea in theory but in practice it is the
opposite of "Keep it Simple".

Have you ever tried to compile something on Ubuntu to end up fetching an
endless number of libXXX-devel packages? I hate doing that.

Disk space is cheap. Better have everything everyone will ever need from
a given OSS package.

Greetings,