[arch-general] Is Voting Effective?

Nowaker enwukaer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 20:28:55 EDT 2014

Hi guys,

I really enjoy our status quo with AUR. This is the first user-repo in
the Linux world that is easy to talk to. Just compare to these Ubuntu's
PPAs that you first need to find and trust. I really prefer to run
yaourt -Ss package-i-am-looking-for, and not to Google for "arch linux
package-i-am-looking-for", then call repo-add, etc. Staying in the
console is a very big plus for me.

I am also satisfied with how AUR users keep it clean. Delete requests
(including binaries directly in the PKGBUILD!), merge requests, disown
requests... While there could be more automation involved, I do believe
AUR is the best user-repo I have ever used.

Lastly, I am OK to build the packages myself. After all, I see the
PKGBUILD, which is just simple code. Or even alternatively I see where
the binaries are downloaded from. If they are downloaded from the
upstream I am totally OK with that. Binaries built by AUR wouldn't be nice.

> The process could also involve grabbing the files (or hashes) through
> different Tor exit nodes and comparing them to make sure they're all the
> same, and there's no attacker messing with the local Internet
> connection.

This is the *only* improvement I could see for AUR. Not only trust
sha256sums provided by the maintainer, but also have a guarantee that
these sha256sums are validated by AUR. If they don't match - the package
is not available for download.

Anything else like binaries built by AUR itself, trusting the users,
finding their private repos etc. I do oppose.

Regarding the subject (Is Voting Effective?). Theoretically, packages
are picked from AUR to [community] according to the number of votes.
However, I have never seen anything like that. Any time a new Trusted
User candidate asks to join the team, they list packages that they want
to move from AUR to [community]. It's totally arbitrary. If there's no
one to be interested in maintaining the package, it remains in AUR. Fine
by me.

--
Kind regards,
Damian Nowak