[arch-general] PPPoE broken on upload

LoneVVolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 22 06:31:37 EDT 2014

On 22-04-14 02:49, Wayne S wrote:
> No answers on previous post so starting new topic.
>
> Recent updates have caused problems with my PPPoE FIOS link. The upload speed has been reduced to near zero.
>
> I "was" using arch linux box as a firewall router. I have a verizon fios connection that still uses the old pppoe. Recently the pppoe connection upload bandwidth went down to < 50kbps (normally it is >25Mbps), however the download bandwidth is still around 58Mbps.
>
> There was a recent thread about recompiling PPP to 2.4.6, however, whatever this change did in recent updates, has broken my router PPP connection upload speed.
What was the previous version of ppp that did work ?
> During boot pppd 2.4.6 is started and the message RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8d compiled against pppd 2.4.6. I see no errors.
latest rp-ppoe version in repos is 3.11.5 , have you tried with that
version ?
please post a complete log of a boot.
> I switched over to using the Verizon actiontec fios router and it works OK. I switched over to an archlinuxarm on a Utilite computer, and it works OK.
what version of ppp /rp-ppoe does the archlinuxarm system use ?
Have you compared the arm PKGBUILDs with the x86_64/i686 PKGBUILDs ?
>   I built a new arch based firewall router on a different computer, and it has the same problem with the latest Arch on my existing router. Which leads me to conclude that something went wrong with pppoe after the recompile to 2.4.6.
>
> Any help would be welcome on what is going on, or how to diagnose.
>
> Wayne

Was the new arch based fw router a fresh install, or an existing system ?

Note : I know a bit about the ppp/rp-pppoe protocols but next to nothing
about it's practical use.
My questions are intended to get information that will help
troubleshooting this.

Lone_Wolf