[arch-general] PPPoE broken on upload

Wayne S linux at zuik.net
Tue Apr 22 22:14:00 EDT 2014

At 4/22/2014 06:31 AM, Lone Wolf wrote:

Thanks for the points LoneVVolf. Much appreciated. I'm having difficulty testing at the moment as it means converting the router into a stand alone system to update, then convert back. Time consuming and network outage. When I get a chance I will test further.

>On 22-04-14 02:49, Wayne S wrote:
>>No answers on previous post so starting new topic.
>>
>>Recent updates have caused problems with my PPPoE FIOS link. The upload speed has been reduced to near zero.
>>
>>I "was" using arch linux box as a firewall router. I have a verizon fios connection that still uses the old pppoe. Recently the pppoe connection upload bandwidth went down to < 50kbps (normally it is >25Mbps), however the download bandwidth is still around 58Mbps.
>>
>>There was a recent thread about recompiling PPP to 2.4.6, however, whatever this change did in recent updates, has broken my router PPP connection upload speed.
>What was the previous version of ppp that did work ?

There was some discussion in February subject: "ppp 2.4.6 in testing breaks"
And the needs to recompile some ppp things, so I'm assuming those testing recompiles went into the recent releases? 2.4.5 was working. I'm not sure how to downgrade to them to test.

>>During boot pppd 2.4.6 is started and the message RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8d compiled against pppd 2.4.6. I see no errors.
>latest rp-ppoe version in repos is 3.11.5 , have you tried with that version ?
>please post a complete log of a boot.

If 3.11.5 is the latest version of rp-pppoe, it did not update with recent updates, as the version in my logs is 3.8d. Oherwise, there is nothing unusual in the boot log.

>>I switched over to using the Verizon actiontec fios router and it works OK. I switched over to an archlinuxarm on a Utilite computer, and it works OK.
>what version of ppp /rp-ppoe does the archlinuxarm system use ?
>Have you compared the arm PKGBUILDs with the x86_64/i686 PKGBUILDs ?

No, but the arm build is behind x86_64. So has probably not seen these updates that breaks pppoe.

Arm was an existing install, fully upated from latest http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/freescale/utilite however arm linux is behind x86 versions.

>Note : I know a bit about the ppp/rp-pppoe protocols but next to nothing about it's practical use.
>My questions are intended to get information that will help troubleshooting this.
>
>Lone_Wolf

Just my guess that the 3.5d rp-pppoe not matching the version in repos 3.11.5 version, and not getting in the update may be the problem? I'm not in a position to fully test at the moment, since this is my main internet connection that I need to keep up.

Whatever the issue, pppoe broke recently in the updates and in fresh installs on different hardware. It is unfortunate that Verizon cannot simply change my verizon fios connection to a simple dhcp connection without a lot of hassle rather than insist on ancient pppoe for fios.

Wayne S