[arch-general] Using Wayland/Weston in ArchLinux

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Fri Apr 25 16:55:47 EDT 2014

On 04/25/2014 10:38 PM, pplive wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have installed ArchLinux on a virtual machine hosted by my
> VirtualBox. The desktop I picked is enlightenment
>
> I have also installed wayland/weston by pacman.
>
> I tried to play with weston according to the following page:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wayland
>
> If I just run weston, I can create a window, and I can configure the
> height/width of the window.
>
> However, when I tried "weston-launch", there is an error message
>
> "weston-launch must be run from a virtual terminal"

As the message says, it must be run from a VT (tty). Since you're using
VBox, you won't be able to run it from VT with standard configuration.
VBox doesn't have proper graphics stack for that. fbdev backend works though

weston-launch -- --backend=fbdev-backend.so

> When I tried "weston-flower", the error information is as follows:
> "error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
> failed to connect to Wayland display: NO such file or directory
> failed to create display: No such file or directory"

No compositor (weston) running in the session you are starting
weston-flower from?

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR should be set by systemd at login.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.