[arch-general] Optimizing boot

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:17:53 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Toyam Cox
<csupercomputergeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to have a sub-30 second boot time, so as to make it possible for me
> to power down my computer and power back up at a moment's notice. Right
> now, I have a (according to my watch) ~35 second boot time. I used
> systemd-analyze, and discovered that NetworkManager.service is running for
> 12 seconds of that time! Also, polkit.service runs quite a while after
> everything else, but that is less important.
>
> How do I optimize NetworkManager.service to shorten boot times, especially
> as I don't need a network first-thing?
>
> --
> - Toyam

Are you using a display manager? If not (getty), add a snippet for
getty at .service to use Type=simple instead of Type=idle (making it
start ASAP) and add "quiet" to the kernel command line so boot
messages are suppressed. This will allow you to log in with getty
while the system is still booting.