[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: FS#41424 - Virtualbox 4.3.14, USB doesn't work flawlessly

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Aug 4 16:05:19 EDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-04 at 20:15 +0100, Marco Monteiro wrote:
> I have experienced problems with USB also. My guest is Windows 8.1.
> When I try to access the USB device from Windows, the access fails
> and then everything inside the VM seems to start misbehaving. I cannot
> properly shutdown the VM - I have to kill the VBox process.

Hi Marco,

when the USB data transfer paused, the graphic performance and access to
the VDI drive slowed down, for iTunes and other apps running on the XP
guest. Performance for iTunes always is bad, but other apps usually run
without issues. I always could shut down Windows, but sometimes much
time was needed before I could use the menu. If you can't shutdown your
guest, you could try to shut down the virtual machine by closing the
VBox window, instead off killing the process.

I add an additional comment to my bug report.

"There isn't an issue for the USB mouse, but data transfer between VBox
and an iPad2 is broken when I use 4.3.14. There aren't issues anymore,
after I downgraded all packages to 4.3.12. The whole performance of Vbox
is slower when syncing iTunes and an iPad with .14 and there are many
unknown errors and timeouts, if you e.g. try to install 20 applications
or more from iTunes running on the VBox guest to an iPad. Disconnecting
the iPad's USB causes VBox to crash, if it is done without unchecking
the iPad in VBox's devices menu, this doesn't happen when using .12.

The used packages are virtualbox, virtualbox-host-dkms,
virtualbox-extension-pack and I install the guest additions that fit to
the installed version of virtualbox. Perhaps the culprit isn't the
package virtualbox, it might be the package virtualbox-extension-pack,
since it's needed for USB2 support." -
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/41424

JFTR everything already was ok, when I only downgraded the package
virtualbox, disabled USB2 support and kept the 4.3.14 guest additions.
In the mean time I downgraded all packages and add the 4.3.12 guest
additions, so with the outdated version I now can use USB2 again.

Perhaps you have the time confirm my bug report.

Regards,
Ralf