[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] linux 3.16 in [testing]

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Wed Aug 13 13:09:16 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 06:44:39PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 13.08.2014 um 17:29 schrieb Damjan Georgievski:
> > On 13 August 2014 17:26, Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> yey
> >> thanks for CONFIG_USER_NS=y
> >
> > ahh no, I'm stupid.
> > Checked it on another machine and got excited before hand
> > :/
> >
> > anyway. is there a reason this is not enabled now?
> > all the mainstream distros hae it enabled now Fedora, RHEL/CentOS 7,
> > Ubuntu and Debian (at least on the backported kernel)
>
> I'd think about it, if the feature wasn't entirely useless. Despite the
> lack of official documentation, I found a document that described how it
> worked. After reading that document I concluded that the feature is a
> huge potential security risk with no actual benefit.

Interestinig. Could you please provide a link?

> If you give me a valid use case for USER_NS, I might reconsider, but
> every use case I can imagine is crushed by the limitations of the
> implementation.

As you know, user_ns is a necesary prerequisite for unpriviileged containers:
https://www.stgraber.org/2014/01/17/lxc-1-0-unprivileged-containers/ . AFAIU,
currently only Ubuntu 14.04 supports those.

However, I agree with you that CONFIG_USER_NS is better left disabled in -ARCH
kernels. After all, people using containers should be able to compile a custom
kernel...

Thanks,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4