[arch-general] Messed up {g,u}id for uuidd

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 04:21:58 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Leonidas Spyropoulos <artafinde at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had the brilliant idea couple of weeks ago to merge the
> /etc/{shadow,group,passwd} . I know now that I shouldn't be merging those
> and ignore the pacnew files. Now i'd like to fix these. The status report
> from systemd is:
>
> snip

> Further info
> ~# cat /etc/shadow | grep uuidd
> uuidd:x:14871::::::
> ~# cat /etc/group | grep uuidd
> uuidd:x:997:
> ~# cat /etc/passwd | grep uuidd
> uuidd:x:68:68:uuidd:/:/sbin/nologin
> ~# /usr/bin/pwck -r
> user 'uuidd': no group 68
> pwck: no changes
>
> What should I be changing to fix this? If I change the gid from 997 to 68
> would this fix it? Would it be other implications?

If it is any help my output from the same cat commands is:

$ sudo cat /etc/passwd | grep uuidd
uuidd:x:68:68:uuidd:/:/usr/bin/nologin
$ sudo cat /etc/shadow | grep uuidd
uuidd:x:14871::::::
$ sudo cat /etc/group | grep uuidd
uuidd:x:68:

which indeed suggests that your /etc/group for this uuidd line might have
68 instead of 997 - but of course your files may have other differences
also. In addition I have /usr/bin/nologin in the passwd file though that
should not matter.

Did you have any backup copies of the original files before making your
merge changes?  Retrieval of the backup copies would at least allow a
comparison to be made before you made the merge.

--
mike c