[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] systemd 216 coming soon to testing

Bigby James bigby.james at crepcran.com
Thu Aug 21 12:56:06 EDT 2014

> > It seems this is just a change in the default settings, nothing more.
>
> I know, but not everyone follows systemd-devel. So, just updating systemd would
> lead to syslog "mysteriously" not logging anything...

Sure, *if* you didn't already explicity set journald to use an external logging
daemon. If you did, then the update is just going to create a *.pacnew file that
can be deleted. In other words, the problem is improper configuration on the
part of the user, not impropriety on the part of upstream.

I use syslog-ng myself, and it seems to me that if I'm going to be deviating
from the defaults set by upstream and the Arch devs then it falls to me to pay
attention to these things. No offense, but asking the devs to change the default
behavior of a package to satisfy a minority, who couldn't be bothered to change
two lines themselves at some point in the last couple years, is unfair.

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams