[arch-general] ibus

Rasmus Liland jensrasmus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 13:42:06 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-05 14:15, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm surprised why ibus is installed on my machine.
>
> Is ibus needed for anything on my machine?
> The package claims that it was "Installed as a dependency for another
> package", but no package seems to need it.
>
> $ pacman -Qi ibus
> Name           : ibus
> Version        : 1.5.9-4
> Required By    : None
> Optional For   : None
> Conflicts With : None
> Replaces       : None
> Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package
> $ pactree -r ibus
> ibus
>
> I replaced two packages with dummy packages, non of the
> "original" packages does need ibus.
>
> $ pacman -Si pulseaudio gvfs | grep ibus
>
> Has got ibus any effect, when no other package requires it?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Ralf,

I think you can uninstall ibus safely, unless you use it for e.g. writing
simplified chinese, then you would also need e.g. the ibus-sunpinyin from AUR
or something similar.

I'm guessing it was installed in the past on your system as a dependency of a
AUR package where the AUR packager uses ibus to write his native language.

Regards,
Rasmus

Rasmus Liland, jrl at jrl.dyndns.dk, jens.rasmus.liland at nmbu.no