[arch-general] ibus

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Dec 5 22:37:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 15:53:10 -0600, Bigby James wrote:
> On 12/05, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi Marcel, hi Rasmus :)
> >
> > On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 14:34:29 +0100, Marcel Röthke wrote:
> > > You can remove all unneeded dependencies with the following
> > > command. "pacman -Qdtq | pacman -Rs -"
> >
> > Some unneeded packages might be build time dependencies, I don't
> > want to remove and others might be needed for software I installed
> > without a package, even while they once were installed as a
> > dependency, that now isn't needed by a package anymore.
> >

> If a build-time dependency was installed via the official
> repositories, the pkg.tar package will still be in the pacman cache
> (/var/lib/pacman/pkg).

I guess you mean /var/cache/pacman/pkg/. I don't keep all old packages,
I usually run pacman -Sc and only keep the current packages inside
this cache and a few crucial packages in separated locations.

>  Reinstalling it would be trivial. If it was installed from the AUR
>  you can set a directory in which to store built packages
>  in /etc/makepkg.conf, and then add the directory as a local
>  repository using repo-add.* See the pacman and makepkg man pages and
>  wiki entries for more on that.

I already do this, I store them in /var/cache/aur/ and don't clean this
cache.

> * Of course if the packages were installed as build dependencies from
> the AUR, they may need to be rebuilt when the dependent package is
> updated anyway.

No, scons and others don't need to be rebuild each time. However, it's
trivial to reinstall, but it's a waste of time.

Regards,
Ralf