[arch-general] mutt and gnupg

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Dec 8 12:11:28 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 10:45:45AM +1300, Jason Ryan wrote:
> On 06/12/14 at 10:36pm, Magnus Therning wrote:
> >>
> >>I fought with this as soon as it came out and engaged upstream -
> >>v2.1.x requires the agent and pinentry, you'll need to work out a
> >>change in your configuration to use "loopback" mode in pinentry. Based
> >>on the forum thread and upstream bug report I worked out these
> >>instructions for a general case:
> >>
> >>  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnupg#Unattended_passphrase
> >>
> >>If you figure out another case that is needed, please update the wiki
> >>with your new find. :)
> >
> >Hmm, that configuration basically makes GnuPG *not* use the pinentry
> >program and makes mutt completely bypass the use of gpg-agent.
> >
> >I rather like gpg-agent and the pinentry program... so I'd much rather
> >configure mutt to work with standard behaviour of v2.1.x.  Is that
> >possible?
> >

> Yes, but you do need to move to GPGME (or at least that was the only
> way I restored that functionality).
>
> Update your gpg configuration in your mutt files:
>  set crypt_use_gpgme = yes
>
> Then in your shell profile file, set a couple of variables:
>  export GPG_TTY=$(tty)
>  export GPG_AGENT_INFO=$HOME/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent
>
> Now you will get the pinentry prompt in mutt, and your gpg-agent
> will continue to work for other services (which the loopback hack
> breaks, as noted in the GPG release notes).

IIRC those used to *have* to be set, and that was done via the
loginmanager (e.g. gdm), but that doesn't seem to be necessary any
longer, but I guess mutt depends on them being there in order to find
out that gpg-agent is running.  Is that correct?

Anyway, making the changes you propose makes mutt behave the way I
want.  Thanks!

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Code as if whoever maintains your program is a violent psychopath who knows
where you live.
     -- Anonymous