[arch-general] mutt and gnupg

Jason Ryan jasonwryan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 21:45:45 UTC 2014

On 06/12/14 at 10:36pm, Magnus Therning wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 09:55:22AM -0600, Troy Engel wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> > So, is there some way to configure mutt to go straight to the
>> > gpg-agent, without any warning messages on startup?
>>
>> I fought with this as soon as it came out and engaged upstream -
>> v2.1.x requires the agent and pinentry, you'll need to work out a
>> change in your configuration to use "loopback" mode in pinentry. Based
>> on the forum thread and upstream bug report I worked out these
>> instructions for a general case:
>>
>>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnupg#Unattended_passphrase
>>
>> If you figure out another case that is needed, please update the wiki
>> with your new find. :)
>
>Hmm, that configuration basically makes GnuPG *not* use the pinentry
>program and makes mutt completely bypass the use of gpg-agent.
>
>I rather like gpg-agent and the pinentry program... so I'd much rather
>configure mutt to work with standard behaviour of v2.1.x.  Is that
>possible?

Yes, but you do need to move to GPGME (or at least that was the only way I
restored that functionality).

Update your gpg configuration in your mutt files:
  set crypt_use_gpgme = yes

Then in your shell profile file, set a couple of variables:
  export GPG_TTY=$(tty)
  export GPG_AGENT_INFO=$HOME/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent

Now you will get the pinentry prompt in mutt, and your gpg-agent will continue
to work for other services (which the loopback hack breaks, as noted in the GPG
release notes).

/J

--

http://jasonwryan.com/  [GnuPG Key: B1BD4E40]