[arch-general] archlinux updates error reduction

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 03:04:24 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM, vixsomnis <vixsomnis at fastmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with rankmirrors, but in my experience reflector sorts
> them perfectly, and applies as generally as possible, no matter what
> country:
>
> # reflector -f 1000 -l 1000 -n 1000 -p http > /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
>
> There aren't 1000 mirrors, so that number is arbitrarily large. Anyway,
> this is my preferred approach. Doesn't get much simpler.
> --
> vixsomnis

rankmirrors pings each server and times the response speed, which I can
attest has sped up my updating.

Also, those options can be skipped altogether, and reflector will simply
return all the mirrors -- which is what you would get anyway.
You should at least filter it by country though -- unless you don't mind
downloading from marginally <s>faster</s> slower Taiwanese mirrors instead
of the one 25 miles away. (or possibly on-campus?)

-- Eli Schwartz