[arch-general] archlinux updates error reduction

vixsomnis vixsomnis at fastmail.com
Thu Dec 11 01:28:31 UTC 2014

On December 10, 2014 8:17:25 PM EST, Eli Schwartz <eschwartz93 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM, vixsomnis <vixsomnis at fastmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On December 10, 2014 10:19:12 AM EST, Jude DaShiell <
>> jdashiel at shellworld.net> wrote:
>> >I commented out mirror.abscission.net in my /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
>> >since
>> >so far as I can tell that server runs too slow and causes yaourt to
>> >error
>> >out on it persistently.  I'm using servers in the United States so
>this
>> >
>> >will be of no interest to foreign users of archlinux.
>> >

>> >jude <jdashiel at shellworld.net> Twitter: @jdashiel
>>
>> I find using reflector to sort by speed, then latest updated, tends
>> work just fine.
>>
>> It'd definitely filter out any unresponsive servers.
>> --
>> vixsomnis
>>

>I would use rankmirrors as well, this is the mirrorgen script I use:
>
>reflector -c "United States" --sort age --protocol http --save
>/tmp/mirrorgen && rankmirrors -v -n 5 /tmp/mirrorgen | sudo tee
>/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
>

>-- Eli Schwartz

I'm not familiar with rankmirrors, but in my experience reflector sorts them perfectly, and applies as generally as possible, no matter what country:

# reflector -f 1000 -l 1000 -n 1000 -p http > /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

There aren't 1000 mirrors, so that number is arbitrarily large. Anyway, this is my preferred approach. Doesn't get much simpler.
--
vixsomnis