[arch-general] MediaWiki extension and fix pull request

William Gathoye william at gathoye.be
Tue Dec 16 01:13:01 UTC 2014

On 12/16/2014 01:42 AM, Dario Giovannetti wrote:
> Just a quick clarification from work, I never showed support for
> installing the cite extension, and I'm aware that it's developers,
> and not TUs, that have access to the repos.

This is why I specified "especially me". But I admit, you haven't
indeed explicitly mentioned the idea to install that extension, though
without completely refusing that idea ;-)

And for plea of that Cite extension:

TL;DR: The keyword citation method from the Cite extension is better.

I *do* see the need to explicitly be able to cite an article at the
exact location where we made an assumption in our content. Using a
keyword and putting the detailed source at the end of the document
seems the best way if the link is used at several location in the
document.

As an example, if we cite some non tested assumptions we take from an
article that we rapidly adapted to the Arch Linux world, the reader
might be able to inform the original author, if he wants to, that the
solution works or not. With a dedicated "see also" at the end of the
document, it is less likely to happen.

And as already written in the discussion on the wiki, "see also"
implies that some more detailed information is available in that
linked article, which is not necessary the case. A short blog post
might just explain a really simple trick we completely integrated in
our content (nearly copy-pasted).

We are not aiming to provide and duplicate documentation from
upstream. I personally don't like that idea, excepted if this leads to
a disjointed article with bunch of references everywhere (e.g. the
VirtualBox article I rewrite). In the case of DKMS for example, you
cannot actually find any recent and updated "starting guide" excepted
this old unnecessary very long one [1] dating back from 2003. The
Wikipedia page is nearly non existent, and upstream does only provide
a technical indigestible man page. Ubuntu does provide some more
general technical guide, but again not really adapted to Arch [2].

Regards,

[1] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6896?page=0,0
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DKMS

- --