[arch-general] MediaWiki extension and fix pull request

Troy Engel troyengel+arch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 01:28:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:13 PM, William Gathoye <william at gathoye.be> wrote:

> TL;DR: The keyword citation method from the Cite extension is better.

Are there arguments for not implementing the Cite extension? IMHO,
it's a simple, valuable parser in MediaWiki installs that allows easy
inline referencing to upstream technical documentation without
distracting from the work itself. It would encourage wiki contributors
to reference the deep-dive technical information when presenting the
overall concept in a consumable fashion (like systemd units). Example
of a minor contribution I made to NFS outlining debugging that
references 6 sources which could have used Cite more effectively:

  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS/Troubleshooting#Debugging

The Cite extension would allow the inline referencing of the upstream
technical material without having to manually maintain the References
section and put the links inline where they belong with the
presentation. It also encourages "don't just trust me, here's the link
to the code" (or whatever) for certain subject matter.

-te