[arch-general] fdisk vs. gdisk for GPT partitioning

Jeremy Audet ichimonji10 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 23:34:05 UTC 2014

> Speaking from complete ignorance... do significant numbers of people
> still use MBR for non-obsolete platforms/machines?​

Until this spring, I used a ~7 year old Dell Precision M4300 laptop. I only
got rid of it because I work from home these days and have no need for a
laptop at all, and I knew someone else who considered the machine an
upgrade.

I also dual-boot with Windows 7 on my desktop. The Windows 7 install disk I
use does not support GPT partitions. I'm going to be re-installing Arch and
Windows 7 on this very desktop later this week due to some hardware
upgrades (No more Athlon II x2 270 for me!), which means that support for
MBR is a requirement.

So yes, MBR is very much still a thing.

—Jeremy 'Ichimonji10' Audet