[arch-general] fdisk vs. gdisk for GPT partitioning

Stefan Höck efasckenoth at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 04:43:37 UTC 2014

> Until this spring, I used a ~7 year old Dell Precision M4300 laptop.

Same here. I installed Arch for the very first time this summer on old
hardware to make sure that I did not ruin my running Linux
installations. Trying it in VirtualBox would probably have been a better
option, but this seemed overly complicated at that time and I had this
old laptop lying around.

However, I think we still should consider having only UEFI in the
beginners guide and link to a separate wiki entry if somebody needs an
MBR partition. The reasoning is this: When I first installed Arch,
I found the whole paragraph about partitioning the hard drive to
be the most confusing one as it mentioned several partitioning tools
and -schemes.  This part of the beginner's guide has been rewritten since
then and I find it to be much clearer now. Still, for the very noob I
was half a year ago, it would probably have been easier to have UEFI
as the default in the beginner's guide and MBR in a separate wiki.