[arch-general] fdisk vs. gdisk for GPT partitioning

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sun Dec 21 19:54:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 08:15:26PM +0100, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> On 2014-12-16 19:58, Sebastiaan Lokhorst wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Since more than a year now, fdisk (provided by util-linux) has had GPT
> > support. This theoretically makes gdisk a duplicate of fdisk, and we could
> > replace gdisk with fdisk.
> >
> > Now, I'm not asking to drop gdisk or anything like that, but in an effort
> > to clean up the Beginners' guide of the Arch Wiki, we want to use a single
> > partitioning tool for both MBR and GPT partitioning instructions.[1]
> > util-linux fdisk is able to provide this functionality, but we are not
> > completely sure if it is stable by now (it should be, I think).
>
> Speaking from complete ignorance... do significant numbers of people
> still use MBR for non-obsolete platforms/machines?

Yes. The age of a machine has no relevance for deciding whether to use GPT (or
UEFI in general). Whenever I use LVM and/or LUKS, I set it up over the block
device (like /dev/sda), not partitions (like /dev/sda1). So, there is no
partition table at all. In this case, using legacy BIOS saves me from lots of
UEFI-related headache.

And of course, this entire motto of GPT "we support 20TiB drives" is just
silly...

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4