[arch-general] fdisk vs. gdisk for GPT partitioning

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sun Dec 21 21:48:36 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 09:49:42PM +0100, Sebastiaan Lokhorst wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your responses! It seems that gdisk is still favorable
> for advanced tasks, but fdisk is can be used for basic tasks, as are
> usually required by beginners.

No, that was my point: for "advanced" tasks you need neither. I never read the
beginners' guide, and don't care how it is formatted. I am just trying to
un-confuse people regarding the whole GPT vs MBR thing...

> > Yes. The age of a machine has no relevance for deciding whether to use GPT
> > (or
> > UEFI in general).
> >

> This is not true. Some low-end modern machines completely drop legacy BIOS
> boot. So booting via UEFI is required, and thus GPT is required.

I really doubt this. Are you saying that some vendors on purpose break such
things as booting from an external USB key?

For example, I have an ExoPC tablet running Arch 64bit. It is true, that there
is no checkbox in UEFI config saying "legacy BIOS". However, GPT partitioning
is _not_ required at all. So, I nuked the EFI partition, made the entire SSD
a LUKS container, and happily boot with MBR.

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4