[arch-general] fdisk vs. gdisk for GPT partitioning

Sebastiaan Lokhorst sebastiaanlokhorst at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 23:27:21 UTC 2014

> > This is not true. Some low-end modern machines completely drop legacy
> BIOS
> > boot. So booting via UEFI is required, and thus GPT is required.
>
> I really doubt this. Are you saying that some vendors on purpose break such
> things as booting from an external USB key?

USB keys can also boot in UEFI mode, see for instance the Arch install
medium. But only if the creator of the key included an UEFI boot file of
course.

An example of newer laptops not having legacy BIOS (or at least disabling
it): [1]. An explanation that legacy BIOS is optional: [2].

Thanks,
Sebastiaan

[1]
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Pavilion-11-x2-no-legacy-option-in-bios-settings/td-p/3756368