[arch-general] Arch Linux Trusted User application Christian Hesse

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Tue Dec 30 10:12:45 UTC 2014

Hello Arch Linux community,

this year I received an extra Christmas present: Bartłomiej Piotrowski asked
me to apply to become an Arch Linux trusted user. Just some days later Ike
Devolder had the same in mind - as I already have a sponsor he promised to
give his vote. Thanks!

My name is Christian Hesse (aka eworm), I was born in 1982 and I live in
Germany. I work for an educational institution, with FOM (Fachhochschule für
Ökonomie und Management) being the most prominent part. My work includes
networking and Linux stuff. Most Linux servers are Debian based, some machines
even run Arch.
In my free time I fly radio controlled helicopters, take photographs, read
books, go geocaching, meet friends, ...

My first contact with Linux was about 1998 when SuSE Linux 6.8 (or similar,
not perfectly sure) was offered by my school in a special deal. I installed
it but did not manage to get the X server running. Some time later I bought
a SuSE Linux 7.0 package, installed it and abandoned the well known
proprietary operating system. I am a free software enthusiast since these
days.
Some SuSE versions later I was annoyed by Yast overwriting my configuration
files over and over again... I decided do install LFS (Linux from scratch)
and learned a lot, changed to Gentoo to get a package manager and finally
installed Arch Linux in... Hmm... January 2010? ... for a serious system.
I felt in love with this great distribution and its package manager pacman.
To date I am perfectly happy. My main system is still running my first Arch
Linux installation (though this installation survived at least three
notebooks...).

I started maintaining packages in AUR [0] soon. Within four and a half year
the number increased to over 200, still counting.
I would like to move some of these to [community]: MySQL Workbench comes in
mind with 274 votes, LibreCAD and various Yubikey related packages being
other candidates. Hopefully PackageKit will be prepared for prime time again
soon.

My main focus is on system administration, but I do have an attitude to
programming. A number of open source projects includes changes by me, some
just being bug fixes, some introducing new features. I do not want to bore
you, so I will not list them here.
I even have started some projects on my own [1][2]. Dynamic QR
code on website anybody? Or desktop notifications for journal entries, netlink
or block device changes? Some projects are specific to Arch Linux. Want to
share pacman cache on local network? Full disk encryption with mkinitcpio and
Yubikey?

On community events I got in contact with the Linux Professional Institute.
Nowadays I am member of LPI German e.V. [3] and working as proctor taking
certification exams.
Additionally my co-author Michael Gisbers and I wrote a German book ("Linux
Essentials. Vorbereitung auf die Prüfung des Linux Professional Institute")
for Linux Essentials exam preparation, published at Open Source Press [4].

I am going to marry next month, so do not expect me to be too active until
the end of January. Nevertheless I would be pleased to join the team now and
enhance Arch Linux in the future.
Thanks a lot to all of you for considering my application.

Best Regards,
Chris

[0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?SeB=m&K=eworm
[1] https://github.com/eworm-de
[2] http://git.eworm.de/
[3]
http://www.lpice.eu/lpi-partner/lpi-ev/die-mitglieder-des-lpi-e-v/christian-hesse.html
[4] http://www.opensourcepress.de/de/autoren/Christian-Hesse
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)