[arch-general] Systemd email notifications

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 11:19:39 EST 2014

On Thursday 13 Feb 2014 13:36:35 Denis A. Altoé Falqueto wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, though actually I'm just really surprised that, given the incredible
> > administrative benefits of systemd, there isn't currently anything that
> > leverages it for actual process monitoring and reporting.  As far as I
> > can tell, systemd is also not yet able to automatically restart bloated
> > or stale services (e.g. worker instances that may go haywire).  Hopefully
> > these things will come along now that "systemd --user" is maturing.
> I think you can rely on software or hardware watchdogs, which are
> supported by systemd.

Yeah, I think it's possible to get systemd to poll a script, or there's always cron (or a timer
unit) that should allow us to manually inspect a process and restart it if necessary.  But it
would be cooler if there were shortcuts to features that we see in Monit and other similar
systems; something like this in a unit file:

MaxMemoryThreshold=100M
MaxMemoryCheckInterval=30
MaxMemoryIntervalThrehold=2

The memory is then checked every 30 seconds.  When the unit exceeds this amount of RAM
for 2 successive intervals, the unit is restarted.

Paul