[arch-general] Installing Archlinux on a Panasonic toughbook U1

Alfredo Palhares masterkorp at masterkorp.net
Wed Feb 19 13:05:09 EST 2014

Since my thread on the forums did not got very much attraction here it goes,

I have a Panasonic Touchbook CF-U1  for those who not to care to read the link its a rugged small pc with an Intel Atom in it.
The machine will have 2 main uses:
- Replace the laptop on my garage, (i like to mess with mechanic stuff on my spare time, mostly offroad machines) it will be used to view some pdf (service manuals and whatnot)
and use tunning software and logic analizyer so on, i would be running it on an external keyboard.
- Onboard computer on my offroad truck, I plan to use the GPS for navigation proposes and as data logger of the engine Electronic managemnte system.
And maybe some light work on those sunny days where I feel like working outside (have you tried using your laptop on the sunlight ? it sucks).
I am a tiller wm lover (DWM and AwesomeWM) but I don't think a tller would be the most idicated, I would love a mix of normal wm with a touchscreen friendly interface.
Something like the Asus EEE pc 701 (the first one) had that modded Ice VW menu.
I did not tried to install the system yet, but I started the live disk, and these are my first toughts:
- Wireless works out of the box
- Fn key does not work (extremely necessary)
- Dual battery leds do not work, it does not show which battery is using, it shows the led that is connected to the AC power, the batterie management seems to work fine tough.
- The accessorie keys do not work, altough I think i can fix that with setkeycodes, not really important right now.
I will use full system encryption according to the wiki, just because I want to, that should be a problem.
I want to collect as much information as possible before tackling the installation.
Please drop your opinions or links to any information you might think its useful
Some links:
http://www.emperorlinux.com/mfgr/panasonic/ant/ - A company that seels this devices with linux pre installed, altough it does not document the installation, nor do I think they're still in business, since I did not get any reply from them.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=201018 - Old thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdAYgt4B9g - A video of it running ubuntu, so its possible, but again i dont find any documentation.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panason … cf-u1.html

--