[arch-general] Any way to change .PKGINFO post build w/o Rebuilding?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Feb 26 16:06:36 EST 2014

On 02/26/2014 05:45 AM, Gesh wrote:
> A naïve reading of [1] suggests that makepkg -R should do the trick.
> However, as I'm away from my computer, I can't test
> this.
> Gesh
> [1] - https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/makepkg.8.html

With just about every other package, that is OK, but not in the case of tdebase.
There are files autogenerated during Make and copied to 'pkg' that are not
present if makepkg -R is called (makepkg wipes out 'pkg' before repackaging --
so in this case it will not work). That is what prompted this manual question.
Thanks though.

I tried manually editing Provides= and Replaces= and it would not work. Maybe I
had it wrong. If the existing package is 'tde-tdebase' and I create a new
package for testing 'tde-tdebase-systemd', how do I configure the
Provides/Replaces variable in the PKGBUILD file. I understood it to be:

pkgname='tde-tdebase-systemd'
<snip>
provides=('tdebase' 'tde-tdebase')
replaces=('trinity-tdebase' 'tde-tdebase')

Is this not correct for the package 'tde-tdebase-systemd' to install and take
the place of 'tde-tdebase'?

In the .PKGINFO file, I modified it and attempted the install with:

replaces = trinity-tdebase
replaces = tde-tdebase
<snip>
provides = tdebase
provides = tde-tdebase

It failed with the same error of each file conflicting. To get around it, I just
dropped to console and did
# pacman -Rdd tde-tdebase
# pacman -U tde-tdebase-systemd-R14preRC1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

That worked, but I am curious if manually changing .PKGINFO is possible.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.