[arch-general] netctl provides wifi-menu which is unusable

Doug Newgard scimmia22 at outlook.com
Thu Feb 27 10:25:34 EST 2014

> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:22:50 +0100
> From: enwukaer at gmail.com
> To: arch-general at archlinux.org
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] netctl provides wifi-menu which is unusable
>
>> Have you looked at netctl's optional dependencies?
>
> Of course I have but the question is - what is the point of providing a
> binary that doesn't work at all without some optdepends?
>
> Optdepends are used for software like lighttpd or apache where some
> optional modules may need these optdepends. /usr/bin/wifi-menu is a
> first class citizen of this package, not just some optional module.
>
> I don't know of any other package that would do the same.

Virtually every other package that has optional dependencies does the same.
Almost all of them have binaries that don't work without the optdepends
installed. I don't know where you get the idea that wifi-menu is a "first class
citizen", it's non-essential functionality which is exactly why it's dep is an
optdep. Remember, it's the author of the program that made it an optdep.

>> I've really got to wonder what the rational is here, he doesn't
>> want to pay attention to pacman's output, maybe?
>
> I do pay attention to the output, but current state of wifi-menu in
> netctl is a nonsense. And what is a nonsense needs to be fixed, right?
> Three other people already agree with me.

Three other people agree with your slanted ranting where you don't give all of
the information. So what? It wouldn't matter even if they do agree with you,
Arch isn't a democracy, the maintainer/author makes the decision.