[arch-general] Default value of "j" in makeflags of makepkg.conf

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 09:33:05 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 03.01.2014 15:21, schrieb Martti Kühne:
>> You can't expect every upstream to fix their autohell to conform to
>> our expectations here.
>
> So, we keep repeating ourselves.

Because I have a strong opinion about this. Also to prevent people
from running into this who are not that experienced in making things
work.

> There is the !makeflags option for PKGBUILDs to work around this problem
> (which you would know if you read the thread). If a package is broken
> with -j, this option helps.

It's not nice to introduce this, then people start packaging some new
piece of software they want to throw on the aur, but which no one
cared to build with -j yet and they would check their build trees
again and again and spent amounts of time on this similar to me to
figure out what was going on - all while a manual build just worked
for them. Garbage error messages, huge autohell pains, and all because
of mr. brain0.

cheers!
mar77i