[arch-general] Default value of "j" in makeflags of makepkg.conf

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 3 09:49:27 EST 2014

Am 03.01.2014 15:33, schrieb Martti Kühne:
> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Am 03.01.2014 15:21, schrieb Martti Kühne:
>>> You can't expect every upstream to fix their autohell to conform to
>>> our expectations here.
>>
>> So, we keep repeating ourselves.
>>

> Because I have a strong opinion about this. Also to prevent people
> from running into this who are not that experienced in making things
> work.

If you are not "experienced", you should think about your operating
system choice. We are not a kindergarten, we are a distribution with a
target audience of experienced and advanced users.x

>> There is the !makeflags option for PKGBUILDs to work around this problem
>> (which you would know if you read the thread). If a package is broken
>> with -j, this option helps.
>
> It's not nice to introduce this, then people start packaging some new
> piece of software they want to throw on the aur,

If it were my choice, we would enforce high quality standards for the
AUR (which would likely force us to delete 90% of PKGBUILDs from it).

If you just want to "throw a piece of software on the AUR" without
checking the PKGBUILD for compliance with expected quality standards and
correctness, then fuck you. I will not stand by while we encourage
people to continue to produce low-quality bullshit and upload it to the AUR.

> but which no one
> cared to build with -j yet and they would check their build trees
> again and again and spent amounts of time on this similar to me to
> figure out what was going on - all while a manual build just worked
> for them.

All I hear is whining because you were unaware of a very common issue.

As a package maintainer or AUR maintainer, it is your duty to test
whether the build causes problems with -j (and you don't even need a
multi-core machine to do that).

> Garbage error messages, huge autohell pains, and all because
> of mr. brain0.

So, now I am responsible for every low-quality piece of shit software
that is being published. You are giving me way too much credit.