[arch-general] Default value of "j" in makeflags of makepkg.conf

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 10:11:00 EST 2014

On Friday 03 Jan 2014 15:49:27 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> If you are not "experienced", you should think about your operating
> system choice. We are not a kindergarten, we are a distribution with a
> target audience of experienced and advanced users.x

I reckon plenty of Arch users weren't used to customising or building packages before
they came to Arch, and may not have done all that much building from source.  That's not
unreasonable.

> If it were my choice, we would enforce high quality standards for the
> AUR (which would likely force us to delete 90% of PKGBUILDs from it).

Sounds like a barrel of laughs!

> If you just want to "throw a piece of software on the AUR" without
> checking the PKGBUILD for compliance with expected quality standards and
> correctness, then fuck you. I will not stand by while we encourage
> people to continue to produce low-quality bullshit and upload it to the AUR.

So just to get this straight: if someone's going to become a packager, they need to learn
how to do it *instantly*.  There should be no margin for error and inexperience.  Correct?
Have you considered a career in education? :p

Paul