[arch-general] Default value of "j" in makeflags of makepkg.conf

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 3 10:26:27 EST 2014

Am 03.01.2014 16:11, schrieb Paul Gideon Dann:
>> If it were my choice, we would enforce high quality standards for the
>> AUR (which would likely force us to delete 90% of PKGBUILDs from it).
>
> Sounds like a barrel of laughs!

When I look at the AUR sometimes, I don't laugh - I cry. The current
state of the AUR makes Arch Linux look like a very bad joke.

> So just to get this straight: if someone's going to become a packager, they need to learn
> how to do it *instantly*.

They should first learn it, and then start uploading to the AUR. In
particular, you should not upload to the AUR instantly.

> There should be no margin for error and inexperience.

Error and inexperience can occur while learning. If you upload to the
AUR, I expect you to have polished and finished material, not your first
draft.

There's enough places with kind people who will look at your PKGBUILD
and point out your mistakes. The AUR isn't one of those places.