[arch-general] Ruby gem packages in Arch

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 13 07:59:34 EST 2014

On 13 January 2014 18:52, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not trying to dismiss your effort, I'm just concerned that this seems a little like
> duplication.

It's about options. You can experience the same thing with Python, R,
Vim, etc. I have long given up using distribution packages for Vim, in
order to keep my config somewhat portable. I deploy the same
environment many times.

For Python, I continue to use distribution packages because I haven't
found the need to deploy the same environment several times, and many
libs can have system deps and that by itself warrants a system-wide
package manager.

As for R, its use cases rarely require deep system-level interaction
(you don't often write fancy apps with it) so its libs do not cause
much trouble. Therefore, I keep it self-contained, as I do with Vim.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1