[arch-general] libgcrypt.so.20 missing

Mark Lee mark at markelee.com
Mon Jan 13 14:19:23 EST 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-13 at 20:08 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 13.01.2014 19:33, schrieb Mark E. Lee:
> > However, I suggest an announcement on the website regarding this
> > problem.
>
> No.
>
> > I had three issues when trying to solve this problem:
> > 1) the mirror I was using wasn't up to date (still had
> > libgcrypt-1.5.3-1)
>
> You see, that is impossible. The package database contains either both
> the old pth and old libgcrypt, or both the new pth and new libgcrypt.
>
> > 3) Failure to update libgcrypt before other packages resulted in a
> > kernel that seemed to be hung at booting.
>
> Sorry, I can't see how that would be related in any way.

Salutations,

pth is not related in this case. I've updated several more systems, this
time libgcrypt first and found that I couldn't update subsequent
packages. The machine failed to reboot by software and I had to hard
reset. Upon resetting, I was left with a hung kernel again.

The reason why packages couldn't upgrade was because of gnupg which is
needed for package signature verification from pacman. An updated gnupg
points to libgcrypt.so.20 while the old one points to libgcrypt.so.11.
Hence, what has to be done is gnupg must be updated before libgcrypt (or
else signature verification fails). Libgcrypt must be updated before the
system is rebooted or else gnupg fails.

Hence, an advisory should be sent out that gnupg should be updated
before libgcrypt, and libgcrypt should be updated before the system's
ever rebooted.

Regards,
Mark
--