[arch-general] Change installation from 64-bit to 32-bit

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 04:00:31 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:31 AM, Friedrich Strohmaier
<damokles4-listen at bits-fritz.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed 64-bit arch on a low memory laptop (1G) not thinking about the
> higher memory requirement.
>
> Now I wonder, whether I can approach to change it by changing the pacman.conf
> entry
>
> Architecture = auto
> Architecture = i686
>
> and reinstall all explicitly installed packages.
>
> I feel like it should work.
>
> Any "don't do that"s, "go for it"s, "I did it"s out there :o)).
> --
> Friedrich

This is doable, and described in the wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Migrating_Between_Architectures_Without_Reinstalling

I performed that move in the past, though in the reverse direction
(i686 → x86_64).  I didn’t have a problem with it.

--
Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick <http://chriswarrick.com/>
PGP: 5EAAEA16