[arch-general] Please move evieext and printproto from [extra] to [null]

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 12:38:21 EDT 2014

On 19 July 2014 14:22, Daniel Martin <consume.noise at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> In [extra] we've printproto, evieext and their libraries (libxp and
> libxevie), which are of no use. Because, both extensions have been
> droped from xorg-server 5 years ago:
>     http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=f4036f6
>     http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=1c8bd31
>
> The first version of xorg-server without those extensions was 1.6.0,
> which was added in March 2009:
>     https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/xorg-server&id=593f6e7
>
> Removing evieext and libxevie should be straight forward, as they aren't
> required by anything else.

I don't remember seeing the use of X print API ever, so from my point
of view it can be deleted. The decision whether they should  be kept
or not should remain on the maintainers. The packages themselves
doesn't seem to be of much maintenance burden.

>While looking at openmotif [community], I've
> noticed that it isn't required by anyone. Isn't that a candidate to be
> moved to AUR?)

In my opinion openmotif should stay, and in fact replace the lesstiff
(which should be dropped then). After all, lesstiff is dead
reimplementation of motif that exists only because motif wasn't free
at the time.

Lukas