[arch-general] Migrating from 64 to 32 bit

Friedrich Strohmaier damokles4-listen at bits-fritz.de
Sun Jul 20 14:17:32 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

starting to do migration from 64 to 32 bit as announced within the other thread. :o))

I choose the Live-CD method following this guide:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Migrating_Between_Architectures_Without_Reinstalling#Method_1:_using_the_Arch_LiveCD

changed the script mensioned there this way:

=====================
#!/bin/bash

MOUNTED_INSTALL='/mnt'
TEMP_FILE='/tmp/packages.list'
ARCH='i686' # added this and used --arch $ARCH

pacman --root $MOUNTED_INSTALL -Sy
pacman --root $MOUNTED_INSTALL --cachedir $MOUNTED_INSTALL/var/cache/pacman/pkg --arch $ARCH --noconfirm -S base base-devel # -Sg only *listing* the groups

#not reached here yet
pacman --root $MOUNTED_INSTALL -Qq > $TEMP_FILE
for PKG in $(cat $TEMP_FILE) ; do
   pacman --root $MOUNTED_INSTALL --cachedir $MOUNTED_INSTALL/var/cache/pacman/pkg --noconfirm -S $PKG
done

exit 0
=================

As I'm a courious guy I run the lines one by one on the shell watching the
results :o))

running the second line, 32-bit live arch's pacman refuses to install 32-bit
packages and instead complains (example):

:: package pkg-config-0.28-2-x86_64 does not have a valid architecture

this is basically true, but not very helpful because I requested it to install
32-bit packages which in this case should be pkg-config-0.28-2-i686, if I got
it right.

Changing neither /etc/pacman.conf's Architecture = i686 nor the
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist entries accordingly are of any help.

Does anyone have an idea, what's missing?

--
Friedrich