[arch-general] makepkg.conf CFLAGS

Yamakaky yamakaky at yamaworld.fr
Mon Jun 2 08:56:35 EDT 2014

Grouped answer (french guy here, be indulgent ^^) :

> Cross platform compilation is a requirement for the most important of
> makepkg's users, namely our package maintainers...

I think TU know how to configure makepkg for theirs binary packages to
be portables.

> user has an ageing AMD FX system and wants to replace that with an
> intel core i7 system. they don't feel like re-installing, so just
> transfer the harddrive to the intel system. if they used
> -march=native everything they build on the AMD FX system will need to
> be rebuild on the core i7 .

Well, that's a good point, I didn't thought about that ^^ But it's only
about rebuilding aur packages, not the binary ones.

> I believe when the decision was made it was simply based on the fact
> that being able to share is worth more for the community than local
> optimization.

PKGBUILDs and packages from repositories have to be portable, but it's
not a requirement for self-build AUR packages. Who shares binary
packages from AUR ?

> Meanwhile you didn't make clear why don't you side with OP after
> justifying his point?

Sorry, I don't understand your sentence. What's "OP" ?

> anyone rebuilding some set of packages with ABS to eek out a bit of
> extra performance is aware that the default compiler flags need to
> be changed

I didn't talk about that, all my point is about AUR building.

> I'm sure there are users who build packages without devtools and then
> expect it to be portable

I think they should read a bit of doc before cross-compiling.

I'm aware that it doesn't make a great difference for most packages, for
only this portability downside so why private ourselves ?