[arch-general] [closed, but not solved] How do I _really_ fix the superblock?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Jun 7 12:38:46 EDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-06-07 at 18:34 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-06-07 at 11:14 -0500, Doug Newgard wrote:

> > > It's not a bug, nothing needs to be fixed [1]. So what is the reason
> > > for
> > > this decision, when it's not a bug? It worked with _all_ systemd
> > > versions until now, it still works with sysvinit and upstart. It
> > > _never_
> > > cause trouble to use localtime the last 11 years on my machines, just
> > > the current systemd upgrade for my Arch Linux, for the first time ever
> > > in 11 years does cause trouble.
> >
> > It's not a bug because using a time that warps forward and backward as
> > your internal yardstick is simply not sane. The bug linked to above
> > happened because nobody tested systemd with a RTC in localtime. That's
> > not surprising, since people who actually know what's happening behind
> > the scenes know that using localtime makes no sense and wouldn't run it.
> >
> > And nobody cares that you've been using Linux for 11 years. Really, get
> > off of it. (I say this as a Linux user of > 15 years.)
>
> There was a choice until now, at least for the last 11 years, perhaps
> longer and now there's no choice anymore. Using UTC has got advantages,
> but for some needs localtime is the better choice, so why not providing
> a choice anymore?

PS: Perhaps the time when backing up a BIOS any way is encoded in UTC,
but at least I can see the correct time when using the BIOS (when taking
a look at the BIOS time) or when experimenting with the hardware,
without using an OS.

However, I will close this thread, a discussion it will lead to nothing.