[arch-general] Setup of HiDPI with awesome wm

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:55:58 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM, tlux <tlux at ghelew.ch> wrote:
> So, here is my point:
> I have a lenovo T540p with a 3K screen display and, as
> one could image, I have very small fonts and icons which are barelly visible at
> normal distance from the screen. I've manage to increase fonts size in  my
> configurations files. However, from time to time I need to connect to a 19"
> monitor(1280x1024) and the result is terrible (to say the least).

I'm not sure, but maybe you can try the `xrandr --scale` option.
It will make applications believe that the resolution is different
than it really is. It may somehow blur the borders, but with such a
high resolution it shouldn't be a problem. For example, assuming that
your 3K display output is named LVDS-0:

    xrandr --output LVDS-0 --scale 0.5x0.5

will make it show the image twice bigger.

> One option I thought of would be to create an udev rule that would detect
> the monitor's connection and trigger a script that would make all the necessary
> connfiguration changes. What do you guys think?

If you decide to use `xrandr`, the two display outputs will have
different names, so there will be independent --scale options:

    xrandr --output LVDS-0 --scale 0.5x0.5
    xrandr --output VGA-0 --scale 1x1    # for illustration purposes:
it is the default

No need to hack udev!

HTH
Rodrigo