[arch-general] mdmonitor.service failed to start

Sander Jansen s.jansen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 10:57:46 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Bill Sun <cap.sensitive at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that my mdmonitor.service failed to start with the following
> error message:
>     Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh:
>     No such file or directory
>
> My mdadm package version is 3.3.1-2. Should I create such a script on my
> own?
>
> Regards.

I don't think the service failed to start, The ExecStartPre starts with an
-, so it's allowed to fail to start that script, but unit isn't considered
failed:

 mdmonitor.service - MD array monitor
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/mdmonitor.service; static)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2014-06-18 13:43:41 CDT; 4 days ago
  Process: 266 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh
(code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

I think systemd is just overeagerly reporting errors here. Then again,
mdadm is a bit weird here, since it only installs mdadm_env.sh on SUSE
systems, yet didn't bother shipping a different service file for it.

Sander