[arch-general] Problems of using pacman and updating the filesystem

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 11:21:26 EST 2014

On Friday 07 Mar 2014 09:26:19 Caorenzhi wrote:
> Thank you! I remember when I run the command to find out the packages I
> should remove, it shows: lilo, grub-common, initvlinux( something like
> this), but I don't know how to move them to /usr/bin. I try directly mv
> lilo to /usr/bin, and use the command to search which package I should
> remove, it seems the lilo is still there. And I don't know which files
> belong to initvlinux, or grub-common, there are a lot of files start with
> grub- , I am afraid I remove it wrongly.

I'm a bit worried that this system may not have been updated even since the switch to
systemd :s Next time you're at the system, can you have a look at /var/log/pacman.log:

# less /var/log/pacman.log

Press SHIFT-G to go to the bottom, and scroll up until you can see the date of the last time
you used pacman to update the system (before this last time that caused the mess).

If the last time you updated was before 2012-11-04, there's a good chance you never
made the switch to systemd, which will make things even harder for you.

Paul