[arch-general] PKGBUILD any way to create pkg-A & pkg-A-test that install w/o conflict

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Mar 8 00:18:21 EST 2014

All,

  Is it possible to create multiple packages that have different package names
but are the same package (with different patches) and have them install without
conflict? (for testing) Currently I'm testing systemd patches for pkg
'tde-tdebase'.  I built a separate package with the systemd patches called
'tde-tdebase-systemd'. Both have the same provides=('tdebase').

  Whenever I attempt to install tde-tdebase-systemd, it conflicts with every
file from the old tde-tdebase packages requiring a 'pacman -Rdd tde-tdebase',
then a pacman -U tde-tdebase-systemd to install.

  I would like to find something like replaces=() that would work on simple
package installs without doing a Sysupgrade each time I switch back and forth.
Is this possible, or is it just better to keep the same pkgname and use
different pkgrel to distinguish (I've been doing it this way, but would like to
use a descriptive filename that identifies included patches) I know 'replaces'
is only for Sysupgrade, is there any workaround for normal package installs?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.