[arch-general] Cannot recover pacman upgrade fails problem

Temlin Olivér temlin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 02:57:21 EDT 2014

On Mar 10, 2014 4:51 AM, "Cao, Renzhi (MU-Student)" <rcrg4 at mail.missouri.edu>
wrote:

> Hi, all:
>
>      I really have no idea for the pacman upgrading fails issue, so I
summarize the problem I meet, and the things I try, if any one can give me
suggestions of what I miss something or I do something wrong, I really
appreciate, if not, I hope this summation can benefit some other people who
meets the same problem.

> The initial problem:
>
> After using pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem to upgrade my arch linux, and
reboot, get the following message:

> ERROR: device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/3f51b ...' not found. Skipping fsck.
>
> ERROR: Unable to find root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/3f51b ...'. You are
being dropped to a recovery shell.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Q:_After_updating_my_system.2C_I_get_a_.22unable_to_find_root_device.22_error_after_rebooting_and_my_system_will_no_longer_boot

> I first try the first method, not work, and then try the second method:
>
> The following is the command I run and the output after I use a live CD
for my system: (People have similar problem can consider it)

> #fdisk -l
>
> /Dev/sda : 2000.4 GB.
>
>  Device boot|start|end|blocks|id|systems
>
> /dev/sda1 …  Linux swap/solaris
>
> /dev/sda2 …  Linux
>
> /dev/sda3 …  Linux
>
> Disk /dev/mapper/arch_root-image
> Units ...
>
> Sectorsize ...
>

> #mount /dev/mapper/arch_root-image /mnt
>
> #mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/home
>
> #mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot
> #arch-chroot /mnt
>
> #pacman-key --init
> #pacman-key --populate archlinux    (This command is needed for the
signiture, it takes me a while to figure out this).
> #pacman -Syu mkinitcpio systemd linux
>
> (133/133) checking for file conflicts
 [######################] 100%
https://www.archlinux.org/news/binaries-move-to-usrbin-requiring-update-intervention
)

kernel line, based on https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146388

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=166423)

> None of them work for me.
>

> Here is the command I run in rootfs :
>
> #ls

bin,buildconfig,config,dev,etc,hooks,init,init_functions,lib,lib_64,new_root,proc,run,root,sys,tmp,usr.

> I check the folder new_root, it is my system's root folder before it
crashes. I don't know how this new folder comes, I am guessing I do
something wrong for arch-chroot?

> I checked :
>
> #ls -l /sbin/init
>
> .... 7 Mar, /sbin/init -> busybox               ( the same output for ls
-l /bin/init)

> #ls -l /bin/systemd
>
>  No such file
>
> #ls -l /usr/lib/systemd/systemd
>
> No such file
>
> It seems I miss something, and I remember I do reinstall the grub and
sysvinit-tools before I quit arch-chroot.

> Welcome to ask me questions for some details if you have the same
problem, and welcome to give me suggestions. ?

> Thank you all!
>

> Renzhi Cao
>
> Email : rcrg4 at mail.missouri.edu<
https://bluprd0112.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=HgdIKZwfkkG-ZqHZQdR5l5Qjeol9gdAIEexz2Okb9KSvfYJfxGlJ7wHelHyOveteZCNx50ztf78.&URL=mailto%3arcrg4%40mail.missouri.edu

Everything has moved to /usr/bin, try init=/usr/bin/systemd
If you have removed the conflicting packages, then update filesystem,
msking the symlinks, so that /bin/* will not fail anymore.

Also, update more often and subscribe to arch-announce (or watch the
mainpage news), or consider moving to a non rolling-release distro, as Arch
tends to suffer from rare updates.

--Oliver Temlin